The International Society of Psychiatric Genetics, established in 1992, is the primary worldwide organization dedicated to:
- Facilitating research in the genetics of psychiatric disorders (including substance use disorders) and allied traits.
- Promoting education in psychiatric genetics, both for the scientific community and for the lay public.
- Guiding early career researchers interested in the field of psychiatric genetics.
- Encouraging communication and collaboration between researchers in this area.
- Striving for the highest scientific and ethical standards in research and clinical practice.
- Paving the way to alleviate suffering due to psychiatric disorders.